The Florida Chapter of the Hospital Financial Management Association 2019 Fall Conference is a wrap!
The Florida Chapter (FLHFMA) has a long history of charitable gifting, and this year was no different. Members collected personal care and other items along with over $1,200 in cash that will be sent to the Bahamas for hurricane Dorian relief efforts. And, 250 first aid kits, assembled by members, will be sent to the Florida Literacy organization. Well done!
The Keynote Speaker, Jeff Conine, a two-time World Series Champion from the Florida Marlins, Ironman World Champion, and mountain climber with the distinction of summiting Mt. Kilimanjaro with his daughter in 2012, kicked off the meeting. He energized the attendees with his stories, inspired everyone to strive to perform at their absolute best, and encourages attendees to take advantage of the conference educational sessions and networking opportunities.
The theme of this year’s event was Charting the Course to Healthcare Horizons. As usual, the Florida Chapter members came in droves to participate in the always relevant and interesting conference sessions. This meeting was jam-packed with two tracks covering multiple sessions, so there was a topic for everyone. Among the topics that covered were:
- The Anchors of Patient Experience presented by Elizabeth Hernandez, Patient Experience Officer at Bethesda Health, discussing trends and methodologies to that assure a positive patient experience.
- Navigating Managed Care Contracts Negotiations panel discussion – a thought-provoking exchange of ideas and best practices to impact cash flow and sustainable improvements to the revenue cycle process. The panel included two stakeholders from hospital financial management departments, Maggie Cervera-Escobar, Director Patient Financial Services, Nicklaus Children’s Health System, and Jeffrey Bross, SVP of Managed Care Contracting from Memorial Hospital.
- Privacy and Security Compliance panel discussion of the data privacy and security issues healthcare organizations face including data privacy, evolving threats to data privacy and security and vendor management that included Denise DiCesare, Director Compliance, Memorial Healthcare, and Candice Tettamanti, Executive Director, Treasure Coast Integrated Healthcare, Cleveland Clinic Martin Healthcare.
- Practice Management Optimizing Cash Flow presented by Loretta Burbridge, Administrative Director Business Office Operations, Memorial Physician Group, and Susan Bezy, System Director Physician Revenue Cycle and Reimbursement, Lee Physician Group discussing the strategies to create sustainable Revenue Cycle Processes for physician services.
- Hospital Revenue Cycle Management: Dollars and Sense presented by five of Florida’s best revenue cycle professionals and addressed issues including pricing transparency requirements, managing denials. Thanks to Karen Kennedy from Cleveland Clinic Martin Health, Anthony Escobio from Tampa General, Scott Davis from Memorial Healthcare, Elyse Gate from Northeast Georgia Health System, and Kamron Lachney from AdventHealth for sharing their expertise.
We look forward to participating in future FLHFMA events. Visit their website to learn more about their upcoming meetings and conferences.
EXTEND Resources serves the healthcare information market by providing high-quality, cost-effective clinical documentation improvement, coding, coding audit, and related revenue cycle consulting services. To learn more, contact Maureen Kelly at (407) 378-7233 or firstname.lastname@example.org or visit our website.